Thomson Reuters released its 100 Top Hospitals report April 16, using "objective research and independent public data to recognize the best U.S. hospitals."
Hospitals cannot apply and winners do not pay to market this honor, according to the firm.
The annual report evaluates hospitals on measures of overall organization performance, including patient care, operational efficiency and financial stability. It compares hospitals only against similar facilities in terms of size and teaching status.
The award winners, which were identified from nearly 3,000 U.S. hospitals, demonstrate that "high-quality patient outcomes can be achieved while improving efficiency," said Thomson Reuters. If all hospitals performed at the same level as the 100 Top Hospitals award winners*:
- More than 186,000 additional lives could be saved.
- Approximately 56,000 additional patients could be complication-free.
- More than $4.3 billion could be saved.
- The average patient stay would decrease by nearly half a day.
*Based on analysis of Medicare inpatients over one year.
The firm separates the hospitals into six categories: The Everest Award, which honors hospitals that have achieved both the highest current performance and the fastest long-term improvement over five years; Top Teaching Hospitals/2012 Major Teaching Hospitals; Teaching Hospitals; Large Community Hospitals; Medium Community Hospitals; and Small Community Hospitals.
The Everest Award winners, the majority of which are located in the southern region of the U.S., are as follows:
- Augusta Health in Fishersville, Va.;
- Banner Boswell Medical Center in Sun City, Ariz.;
- Bon Secours St. Mary's Hospital in Richmond, Va.;
- Clara Maass Medical Center in Belleville, N.J.;
- Delray Medical Center in Delray Beach, Fla.;
- Doctors Hospital of Sarasota in Sarasota, Fla.;
- French Hospital Medical Center in San Luis Obispo, Calif.;
- Morton Plant Hospital in Clearwater, Fla.;
- Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans;
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital in Sarasota, Fla.;
- St. Joseph Health System in Tawas City, Mich.; and
- UC San Diego Medical Center – Hillcrest in San Diego.